Raw Carrot Cake
Make the best raw treat.
- 2 overstuffed cups of thinly cut carrots
- 1 overstuffed cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1.5 cup pitted dates
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 inch fresh ginger cubed
- 5 tbsp coconut flour more or less depending on moisture level
- ½ cup trail mix that has been soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained (optional), I use Enlighten mix by Essential living foods; it is the best!!
- vanilla I make my own so I usually just throw a big splash in; if using conventional vanilla use half tbsp
- Maple Cashew Frosting
- 1 over packed cup cashews (soaked overnight) or at least 6 hours
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp dried vanilla bean granules; I use Ojio
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice or more
- 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
Combine the carrots, coconuts, dates, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and coconut flour in a food processor and pulse until they come together. It should be easy to form in to shapes. Try pressing some between your fingers to make sure it’s sticking. If you are adding the trail mix, stir that in by hand. Prepare the pan of your choice by lining it with parchment paper. You can use a cake pan, loaf pan, muffin tins or make patties like I do. Put your cake in the freezer while you make the frosting. Put the cashews, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a high-powered blender. Mix until completely smooth. If it get’s warm while you are blending it, let it cool a bit before frosting your cakes. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake or cupcakes. If you are making a layer cake, don’t overfill the middle layers or it will ooze out the sides. It tastes best the day after so make it a day ahead!